Chicken salad is a classic recipe typically made with chicken breast, mayo, and a variety of seasonings, and best enjoyed as a sandwich on toasted bread and a bed of lettuce. We’ve taken the standard chicken salad recipe and given it a spicy twist with some tangy buffalo sauce.
This buffalo chicken salad sandwich recipe, created by Lingo’s registered dietitians, is hearty and delicious and clocks in at a whopping 45 grams of protein per serving. We recommend enjoying this sandwich on toasted, fibre-rich whole wheat bread, but if white bread or buns are the only option available, the protein from the chicken salad and the fibrous veggie toppers are a nice counterbalance to the carbs in the bread. These nutrients help slow digestion, helping you move towards steady glucose and fewer Lingo Counts in the hours after your meal.
This sandwich is satisfying enough on its own, but if you’re hankering for a side, we recommend cherry tomatoes, carrot sticks, or a few stalks of celery. And while the recipe calls for tomato and lettuce for the sandwich, you can leave these out altogether and add some of your other favorite toppings such as sliced cucumber, coleslaw, pickles, or onions.
Skip the deli sandwich for lunch and jazz up your traditional chicken salad sandwich with this zesty lunchtime recipe. The balance of protein, fats, and carbs will keep you steady and satisfied all afternoon.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Chicken salad sandwich filling:
- 907g boneless, skinless, cooked chicken breast
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 237ml chicken broth or bone broth
- 1 Tbsp avocado oil
- 73g mayo
- 3 Tbsp buffalo sauce
- 4 scallions
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 medium avocado
- Tomato slices
- Whole wheat bread
- In a small bowl, combine parsley, garlic, onion, salt and pepper. Toss the chicken breasts in the spice mixture.
- Heat 1 Tbsp of avocado oil in a pot over medium heat. Once hot, add chicken breasts and sear for 3 minutes on each side.*
- Place 1 cup of broth in pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and tender enough to shred.*
- Remove the chicken from the pot and shred. Add a small amount of cooking liquid to the chicken to retain moisture. Let chicken cool and place in the fridge until cold.
In a bowl, combine mayo, buffalo sauce, scallions, pepper, and paprika. Fold mayo mixture into the cold shredded chicken and season with salt to taste.
*Alternative to steps 2-3, pressure cook chicken on high for 10 minutes, then let pressure naturally release for 15 minutes.
Nutrients per serving
- 556 calories
- 45g protein
- 26g fat
- 35g carbohydrate
- 7g fibre
Nutrition facts compiled using ESHA Genesis R&D Food Development and Labelling software, version 11.11.23. It’s always best to speak with your doctor or registered dietitian before starting any new diet or exercise regimen.